Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Ironic

I find it more than ironic that in a country that is 94% Muslim, they're worried about 'swine' flu.

The other day I walked onto set and my nostrils were assaulted by a terribly strong medicinal smell. Turns out production had a few people walking around spraying 'Detol'- Lysol's counterpart out here. Huh. 'I guess they're cleaning the set', I thought. Then I saw about 1/3 of the crew walking around with surgical masks on. 'That's weird', I thought. Then again, not so strange when I remembered the times when I went around set sporting a spike out of the top of my head, a fake moustache, deely-boppers, a fake pregnant belly and glitter platform shoes just for fun (not all at the same time mind you- I do have some sense of decorum). Well, it turns out that the media sources in Cairo are stating that the 13 (as of today 20) cases of Swine Flu come from Americans! There are 6 Americans on set (including Chris and myself), and we all found ourselves being avoided like, well, the plague. Never one to miss an opportunity, I proceded to blow my nose a whole bunch and try to stiffle a raspy cough here and there. Chris took it one step further.
I was sitting on set waiting for the next scene when Chris tapped me on the shoulder and asked me if I had seen the doctor. When I looked up from my book to answer him, I was in shock! He looked terrible- pale, red nostrils, snot caked under his nose, sweaty- my God, how could he get so sick so fast... wait a tic. Nice make-up job, funnyman. Of course, there more than a few crew who weren't so convinced that it was make-up and gave him a wide berth when he walked by. If anything, I'd say the day was highly entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment