Friday, April 10, 2009

"Saturday Night Fever"

I know you're not supposed to 'drunk dial', but can you 'tipsy blog'? We just got in from a typical 'thursday' night [Egypt's version of Saturday night- they have Fridays off] with one of our producers, Rob. I've had two 'Stellas' (no, not Stella Artois, just 'Stella', one of Egypt's national beers) and I'm well into the beginings of 'the spins', watching a boxing moving with Barbara Streisand- the name escapes me right now. I smell like an ashstray. I wonder what the life-expectancy is here? I've never gotten all my minerals all in one breath.
A small word on the traffic here; there are no lanes, no traffic signals, no use of the indicator (turn signal), etc. The most used part of the car is the horn- unlike L.A., it's not used in anger; it's more of a warning. Like, "hey, I see you there. Can you see me coming?". Here, you assume that no one is going to know what they're doing so everyone is extra curteous and cautious. No one gets angry(much), no road rage. I have seen very few accidents, and our driver says they are few and far in between. The traffic is tough, and the worst tie-ups are caused by stopped traffic because a Minister is passing through with their entourage. I don't know if their system would work everywhere, but it seems to work here.

No comments:

Post a Comment